April 5 – Manjack Cay to Powell Cay to Crab Cay

Easter Sunday! He is Risen.

Although, we won’t be attending a service today, we reflect on what God has done for us and for all who believe. John 3:16

We are missing our family and also our church family. Will also miss our ham dinner and seeing the excitement on the kids faces with my Easter bunny cake. šŸ™‚ We did get some quick FaceTimes in to wish them a Happy Easter. Sorry we missed you Becca. We did get your message last night that you were out on a bike ride when we called.

Thank you to those who commented on the blog and your wishes for a Happy Easter. To you, Monica, we hope that your snow will go away quickly now. Scot says there is still lots of snow in NB too.

Since we couldn’t have a ham dinner today, we had bacon and eggs for breakfast. šŸ™‚

We weighed anchor at 08:25 and had decided yesterday after talking to Charlie and Chris that we would make a stop at Powell Cay. They had been there a couple of days ago and had seen and heard lots of tropic birds.

On our way there, we could see Coopers Town. Looks like a bustling place.

We arrived at Powell Cay at 10:00 and set the anchor. Right away, we heard the birds. And could see them over by the island. And then some came right over the boat.

We picked up Joe and Yvonne in our dinghy and could see one soaring above us and we got a closer look at the long tail.

We dingied over to a sunken barge. We brought our snorkel gear but decided not to go in as the tide was out and the water was too low. The wreck looked like it may have been a pile driver and that it had been here for quite awhile.Ā Ā  Lots of cormorants around it too.

The wreck was in about 3 feet of water and we could see the crane on the bottom. As we beached the dinghy, we realized just how close to shore the wreck was and noticed a sailboat coming in.

We walked the beach for a few minutes. Saw a little black starfish lying on the beach that looked and felt dead. We thought he was a keeper but we needed to be sure. We put him in a container of water and later on, we could see a few tentacles moving. So we laid him in deeper water. Look at this sand crab, grand kids, burying himself in the sand.

We continued on and came upon lots of things that had washed ashore and was set up by some other beachcomber. There was a large uprooted tree too.

The stretch of sand beach from one end to the other was beautiful and lined with pine trees. Even the uprooted tree couldn’t spoil it’s beauty.

The view of the water from here was equally beautiful.

This little conch was in the water on a mission. You can see his legs going, grand kids. Grampie found another one laying up on the beach, which we thought was dead but we could see something moving, so he placed it in the water beside the other one.

We dingied over to another beach and the tropic birds sure gave us a show. We could even see their orange beaks and greenish blue colour on them. Some are white with black marking on them too. Both very pretty and fun to watch.

By time we beached the dinghy, they were flying away.

Looks like some folks either enjoy soccer here or have just hung them to keep them out of the water. We saw a huge red starfish and another conch. We had the beach all to ourselves. Seems like it was another private beach for you and Easton to collect shells, Tayton. Margie and Elle would love it here too. We miss all you sweet grand kiddies. Such soft, deep sand and warm water.

We pulled up the anchor and headed out again at 12:15.

We saw a few boats anchored just north of Spanish Cay. This is an island we would like to get to visit another year.

We pulled into the anchorage and set the anchor in just over 7 ft of water at 14:10. We were beyond an inlet and in the lee of the island so the waves from the ocean would not bother us. Mike got his goggles and snorkel on and checked the anode. Then we got in the dinghy and took the brush to our conchs, sea biscuits and snake skin shells we’ve collected. We were going to scrub the sides of the boat but Yvonne told us the current was quite strong and it was quite a chore. We planned on taking a dinghy ride in between Little Abaco and Big Abaco Island so we went over to pick them up. Joe had worked quite a while cleaning Modaki so he stayed behind and Yvonne went with us. We saw a turtle scurrying away. The tide was too low to get through. We tried paddling but it didn’t get any deeper. On our way back, we did see this duck out all by his lonesome and a boat capsized up on the rocks.

The beach here looked great from a distance with all the palm trees but as we got closer we could see why it was called Rubble Beach. We were glad we had brought our shoes. We could see that there was a road behind some of the trees. Also got a close up look at some snails all over this rock.

By time we got back, it was supper time. We and Modaki had decided that we would probably put our dinghies up. They pack theirs and we put ours on the foredeck. Tomorrow will be a 40 mile day to Great Sale Cay. We would have to put the dinghy up there for sure to ready ourselves for the long crossing the Gulf Stream. While I started supper Mike worked on getting the dinghy ready to hoist up on the foredeck. I got the meat loaf and potatoes started and then we got the dinghy motor on the stern and then the halyard attached to the dinghy ready to hoist it up. After we ate, we got the dinghy placed and secured. The reality of going home is becoming evident.

Persuasion and Modaki are the only boats in here. Joe and Yvonne blew their conchs as the sun was going down. (We will make a hole in one of our conchs so we can do the same thing).

We finished up a blog and had service so Mike posted it. We’re not sure how good the service will be as we get closer to the banks for our crossing.

Today we travelled 15.7 nm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s